Exploration geochemistry data
The state-wide Surface and Drill hole Geochemistry data consists of both surface and drill hole information. The database has been generated from open file company exploration reports submitted by companies undertaking mineral exploration work within Queensland. Data are still being compiled by Terra Search Pty Ltd through an ongoing contract agreement with the Geological Survey of Queensland as part of the Smart Exploration Program.
The data consists of five database blocks:
- The South East Queensland Block
- The Central Queensland and Drummond Basin Block
- The North East Queensland, Cape York and Ravenswood Blocks
- The Mount Isa Eastern Block
- The Mount Isa Western Block.
The data consists of three parts:
- Tenure, sample and location information
- Lithologic and field information
- Laboratory methodologies and assay information
Product offeredThe Queensland Surface and Drill hole Geochemistry database contains 2 909 693 geochemical and drill hole data (current to 30 April 2010). The digital product provides a comprehensive collection of quality digital geosciences data to assist the exploration industry to target prospective mineralised areas within Queensland, and user-friendly digital data that can be easily retrieved, interrogated, visualised, and integrated into a GIS environment for a range of natural resource studies. The main features of the product are:
- High-speed interrogation and sub-setting of data.
- Visualisation through direct integration with, or export to, industry standard GIS and exploration packages (such as MapInfo, Arcview, Interdex, Discover, Micromine, Surpac and generic ASCII).
- Direct exporting to spreadsheet and word processing packages.
- Standardised geological codes (in conjunction with AGSO-generated codes) and authority tables.
- All standard features of a professional Windows program.
- Ability to use any ODBC compatible database as a back end to the system.
Summary of data contents
|Blocks||Drillhole Location||Drillhole Sample||Drillhole Geology||Rock Chip||Stream Sedim's||Soils||Whole rock||Block Total|
System and software requirementsWindows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista operating systems and at least 1 Gigabyte of disk space.
Format in which data is suppliedThe state-wide digital geochemical data is delivered in Explorer 3 format. The Explorer 3 program distributed with the DVD is read-only, with reporting and export options, but does not allow edits, deleting or adding. Query functions that are inaccessible to this cut-down version of Explorer 3 are greyed out. The Explorer 3 is written in Visual Basic, using a comprehensive data structure for Microsoft Access, SQL Server, Oracle or any other ODBC compatible database. The database also contains ASCII and MapInfo table formats.
Data reliabilityInformation in this digital product was meticulously compiled and verified from open file company exploration reports by Terra Search Pty Ltd. The accuracy of data depends on the original data submission by exploration companies.
DatumThe geodetic datum for the data is GDA66. The data supplied contains both grid coordinates in metres (Easting and Northing) and geographical coordinates in decimal degrees (Latitude and Longitude).
How to order the Queensland Surface and Drill hole Geochemistry Data
You can purchase the digital Queensland Surface and Drill hole Geochemistry Data from the Information Centre.
The data are supplied on a DVD for cost of provision (PDF, 12 kB).
For more information, contact: Joseph Tang (Geochemist)
Geological Survey of Queensland
PO Box 15216 City East QLD 4002
Ph: (07) 3035 5213
Geological information hotline +61 7 3006 4666 (9.00am to 4.00pm EST working days)
email the Geological Information Hotline
Last updated 10 May 2012