Exploration and urban living: striking the balance
The public consultation period is now closed. Submissions are no longer being accepted. The government has developed a long-term solution that is currently before the Queensland Parliament. If approved by parliament, the solution will come into effect in early 2012.
There is concern in some parts of Queensland that our urban centres need to be protected from exploration for coal and mineral resources - while at the same time preserving our productive resource areas for the benefit of all Queenslanders.
The Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation - the state government agency responsible for granting exploration and mining tenements under the Mineral Resources Act 1989 - asked for public and industry input on this issue to better understand how we can best strike the balance between exploration for coal and minerals and urban living.
At the same time, it called a halt to any new applications for resource exploration (excluding exploration for industrial minerals) in and around urban areas. This was designed as an interim measure to to give the government time to consider a permanent solution.
The proposed permanent solution requires legislative changes, which have been developed in consultation with peak bodies such as the Local Government Association of Queensland, the Queensland Resources Council and other groups.
The department appreciates the efforts of the community, industry and local government members who took the time to provide input on this important issue.
More information on the consultation is available in the fact sheets below:
- Consultation paper (PDF, 120 kB)
- Q&A factsheet (PDF, 86 kB)
- Interim restrictions on new exploration tenures: an overview for industry (PDF, 88 kB)
- Interim restrictions on exploration tenures: answers to frequently asked questions by industry (PDF, 84 kB)
More information on the proposed legislative changes and the permanent solution is available in the fact sheets below:
- Explaining urban restricted areas: striking the balance and creating certainty (PDF, 78 kB)
- Striking the balance between resource activities and urban living: FAQs (PDF, 76 kB)
- List of urban restricted areas: striking the balance and creating certainty (PDF, 106 kB)
Last updated 19 January 2012